photos: tote bags made with the tea towels from The Curiosity Shoppe at Target collection
It is a fast and easy sewing project that you can do for yourself or make a provision for your hostess or housewarming gift stash. You can use a brand new tea towel or go with a vintage tea towel that you like. The Curiosity Shoppe owners Lauren Smith & Derek Fagerstrom created this craft using the tea towels from their Shops at Target collection. Their repetitive pattern works well as a tote bag.
How to Make your own Tea Towel Tote Bag
- 1 tea towel
- 1.5 yards of 1” cotton webbing
- Sewing machine
- Fold tea towel in half, right sides together
- Using a half-inch seam allowance, stitch up the sides of the towel, back-stitching at the beginning and end of each seam. Turn bag right side out.
- Cut the webbing in half to make the 2 straps.
- Pin the ends of each strap 1” down from the top of the bag and 3” in from sides, making sure they’re not twisted.
- Attach the ends of each strap by stitching a square around the edges of the 1” tail of webbing, removing the pins as you go.
You are done! I fold my textile tote bag and carry it in my handbag. I bought mine on Etsy. I might start to make my own tote bag.