Confession time: I’ve never roasted a turkey. When it comes to collaborative holiday meals, my contribution tends to steer toward side dishes and desserts. Though the flavour payoff is worth it, all that cleaning and stuffing and trussing and basting and carving can be a little intimidating, especially if you’re a turkey first-timer like me.
The best place to start? With a few equipment essentials to ensure your feathers don’t get ruffled in the kitchen. Whether this is your first or your fiftieth bird, we rounded-up the top tools you’ll need to prepare the perfect roast turkey.
- Invest in a sturdy roasting pan with strong handles and it will repay you with a beautifully browned bird.
- Regular basting is the secret to moist meat.
- A meat thermometer helps to prevent under-cooking by providing an accurate temperature for your turkey.
- A super sharp carving knife and meat fork are essential for easy slicing and serving.
- Presentation is everything! A pretty patterned platter showcases your culinary handiwork.
+ Calphalon Stainless Roasting Pan with Rack $129.95
+ Tovolo Angled Dripless Baster with Basting Tip and Cleaning Brush $18 at Amazon.com [affiliate link]
+ Taylor 9842 Commercial Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer $12.70 at Amazon.com [affiliate link]
+ Salter Gourmet Digital Meat Thermometer £ 9.99
+ Alessi Mami Carving Knife and Fork Set
+ Sesame Letterpress Harvest Entertaining Platters $15 – 31 at West Elm