The classic margarita recipe is hard to beat. No frozen margarita and no mix for me. The margarita recipe is so simple to make that you must rely on the real ingredients.
Before I gave you my classic recipe, it is important to talk about the do and don’t of the margarita. It is necessary because this drink has been damaged over the years.
- The original recipe called for Cointreau, which is a premium Triple Sec. And yes, you will taste the difference in the margarita since there is only 3 ingredients in a real margarita.
- The sweetness comes from the premium orange liquor, typically Cointreau. Try to avoid the basic Triple Sec. I ordered mine with Grand Marnier. Therefore, there is no need to add simple syrup in the original recipe.
- Go for a sliver agave tequila. A classic margarita is not made with aged tequila, so avoid the Reposado. I prefer the taste of the Patrón silver
- Do not pour ice from the shaker into the glass, put fresh ice cubes in the glass.
- The classic recipe uses ice cubes; leave the crushed ice to the frozen margarita.
Making the Classic Margarita
- 1 1/2 oz 100% agave silver tequila
- 3/4 oz Cointreau
- Juice of 1/2 lime, freshly squeezed
- Kosher salt on the rim – I recommend Kosher because it is less salty
Pour the liquids in a shaker with lots of ice. Shake until he ingredients are well blended. Strain into a lightly salt rimmed old-fashioned glass on the rock. You can also serve your margarita on a margarita glass or a cocktail glass.
If you wish to see my reactions when I taste an incredible margarita, watch this video we took at Taqueria Canonita in Las Vegas last year.
Three twists on the Margarita recipes developed by Patrón:
- 1/2 oz. (15ml) Patrón Citrónge
- 1 1/2 oz. (35ml) Patrón Silver
- Fresh ginger
- 1 lime
- Dash of bitters
- 2 tpsb. honey
In a mixing glass, muddle the juice of one lime with a slice of fresh ginger; add the remaining ingredients, fill with ice, and double-strain into a chilled coupette/margarita glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.
- Platinum Margarita mix limes and lemon in larger portion. Therefore some simple syrup is necessary to balance the drink
- Primo Margarita
For Cinco de Mayo, try to rediscover the original Mexican recipes. Forget the Tex-Mex and serve instead a tasty ceviche with cilantro.