I ate brunch at a neighborhood restaurant this morning. In fact, I never visited Liberty Village before. I lived for 5 years in Toronto a decade ago.
I do not recall where I heard praises about this 2 or 3-month old restaurant. When I read the concept, I was hooked. I had to visit School Bakery & Café. Starting February 21st, the brunch menu will be available on Saturday and Sunday.
How it Was
The restaurant was filled with nearby residents. Families, a groups of moms with their babies, a few dads with their little boys, many couples and small groups of friends. I saw many people taking home bakery boxes after their meal. As I tasted our maple syrup scone, I understand why. I shared it with my husband. We both agree the scones was delightful.
I ate the SBC Benni which is two poached eggs served on cheddar-chive biscuit with crispy bacon and spicy hollandaise. As you can see us, the recipes are not text book materials. It was good.
Design ideas To Steal
The designers did an amazing job. Every details have been thought. It is cute and do not look overdone. I felt like a little kid, examining all the details as I was taking my pictures. I had to refrain myself.
If you ever wish to create a party around school, use these as the building blocks for your party décor:
- Bookcase with letters and the classic lunch boxes
- An apple on a stainless steel coaster or tea plate as a centerpiece.
- Salt and playtime salt and pepper set by Fred & Friends. I wish the hole where bigger but maybe with kids, it is preferable than way. The pepper and salt toy blocks create instantly a fun atmosphere. I felt in love with them, I want my own.
- Cover the chair seat or make a table cloth with a chalkboard pattern fabric
- Add humor in the décor. At School Bakery & Café, the kitchen is referred to as Detention.
- The bill arrived in an Individual Progress envelop. Its double duty as a way for customers to leave their contact information or comments.