In an interview, Jennifer Mitchell of Design Hole tells us the best shops and the places to visit in Detroit.
At Home with Kim Vallee (AHWKV): Which are your favorite home décor shops?
Jennifer: I enjoy:
- Bureau of Urban Living: super cool, funky gifts, housewares, and décor
- Mezzanine: the sell high-end European furniture and accessories
- The League Shop: dishes, silver, accessories, and gifts
- Vertu: vintage furniture and accessories
- Shine: where to get cool and funky accessories
AHWKV: Where do you shop for housewares?
Jennifer: I like the Somerset Collection at Williams-Sonoma.
Two interesting shops are:
AHWKV: What are the fun places to visit in Detroit?
Jennifer: It costs only $8 per adult and $4 per youth (6-17) to visit the Detroit Institute of Arts. Until January 18, 2009, you will see art pieces from Monet to Dali and other Modern Masters exhibit from The Cleveland Art Museum.
The Detroit Science Museum is worth a visit. You should not miss the Leonardo Da Vinci: Man, Inventor, Genius Exhibition, that runs until January 4, 2009
The Detroit Zoo: I love zoos
The Henry Ford Village & Museum: This is an amazing place. Henry Ford bought up all these buildings and relocated them to this village. The Wright Bros bike shop and Thomas Edison’s workshop are there. My favorite part of the indoor museum is the area with kitchen appliances through the centuries.
AHWKV: Which restaurant do you prefer for a romantic evening?
Jennifer: My new pick is The Lark. This is a real jewel. It’s expensive, so it’s a special night to go there. But it’s beautiful and the food is the best. I can’t believe I didn’t put them first.
- Find a Williams-Sonoma near you
- get directions to Bureau of Urban Living – p (313) 833-9336
460 West Canfield Street, Detroit, Michigan, United States, 48201
- get directions to Mezzanine – p (313) 887-0900
206 E. Grand River, 2nd Floor, Detroit, Michigan, United States, 48226
- get directions to The League Shop – p (313) 882-6880
72 Kercheval Ave, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, United States, 48236
- get directions to Vertu – p (248) 545-6050
514 S Washington Ave, Royal Oak, Michigan, United States, 48067
- get directions to Shine – p (248) 414-5277
621 S Washington Ave, Royal Oak, Michigan, United States, 48067
- get directions to Pointe Pedlar – p (313) 885-4028
88 Kercheval Ave, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, United States, 48236
- get directions to The Fuchsia Frog – p (248) 203-6550
320 E Maple Rd, Birmingham, Michigan, United States, 48009
- get directions to The Lark Restaurant – p (248) 661-4466
6430 Farmington Rd, West Bloomfield, Michigan, United States, 48322