This white and red backyard shares the South Beach hip vibes. This is the outdoor space of a couple with young children.
The magnificent backyard of Doris and Anthony Lapico was featured in Canadian House and Home last summer.
The couple divided their huge backyard in activity zones. From the draped cabanas to the open air bar in the pool house to the ceiling fans over the dining tables, every detail contributes at making this stylish outdoor a paradise.
7 Design Tips for the Ultimate Outdoor Entertaining Space
If you are planning to redo your backyard, remember the 7 design tips for an ultimate outdoor entertaining space:
- Every wonderful backyard starts with great space planning. Think about the function, the circulation path and the flow when you design the areas.
- Instead of one huge dining table, Doris opted to line up 3 dining tables. When needed, you can split the tables between the kids and the adults.
- Provide the ultimate comfort by installing an awning plus a couple of wall-mounted ceiling fans over the dining area. You get more design options and can cover a larger surface if you opt for a non-retractable awning.
- Placing the bar inside a pool house with a full window wall extends the bar usage to rainy days or cold nights. It is also simpler and cheaper to install a bar fridge, an ice maker and a sink if your bar is inside.
- Do not be afraid to add glamour to your décor. Play with contrasts to surprise your guests. Here the chandelier and the ornate mirror add sophistication to modern furniture.
- Your backyard should look and feel amazing at daytime and nighttime. You want to fully enjoy every corner all day long. The activity that you do may change during the course of a day but all the space must stay usable.
- Backlighting is an amazing technique to add drama. Softly illuminate the areas where you wish to promote intimate conversations.
Photo credits: Stacey Brandford for Canadian House & Home – July 2007 issue, pages 122-127 – rights reserved
+ My 5 design tips for the perfect backyard for entertaining