COOKBOOKS, FOOD + DRINK | August 24, 2007

Upcoming cookbook titled Dish Entertains by Trish Magwood

Dish Entertains cookbook by Trish Magwood

I know Trish Magwood since 2005 as the host of the hit show party dish on the Food Network. Trish is known for preparing uncomplicated but delicious recipes. She explores fun and modern dishing techniques that are perfect for easy entertaining.

On September 14, her first cookbook will hit the stores in Canada. It is a cookbook about everyday simple to special occasions entertaining menu. Knowing her style, it sounds promising. So I put the book Dish entertains on my radar.

We can read from the publisher note that Dish entertains is exactly the cookbook needed by time-starved chefs who want both innovative and classic entertaining recipes – simple, beautiful and always deliciously fabulous.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of her cooking classes and a sample of the food presentation done by her catering service. Her business, dish cooking studio cover many angles of entertaining. It is a cooking school, a full service caterer, a specialized kitchen store and a gourmet café.

When you are looking for a new group activity, why not take a cooking class. They are perfect for bridal showers, a girl night out event or a corporate event. Preparing food usually brings people together; so it is the perfect activity if you want to augment the bound between your friends or your team members.

food plating of the catering service at dish cooking studio

Operating facts about the dish cooking school

Next Tuesday, August 28, there is a hands-on session inspired by recipes from Jamie Oliver. Scheduled courses cover 10 topics in September. New Way to Cook, Beginner or Intermediate Chef Essentials, Everyday Simple Dinner party, Japanese Made Simple and Make ahead Thanksgiving Feast are the ones that caught my attention.

If you are looking for private courses, it is good to know in advance that private hands-on classes can accommodate up to 16 guests. Interactive dinner party classes house up to 50 persons while the demonstration classes can host up to 24 guests. To book a private 2.5 to 3 hour class, the price starts at $160 per person.

The little extras

If you want to welcome your guests in style before class, serve a glass of wine and some delicious nibbles when the participants arrive. You can give a party favor to thank everyone for coming and participating. You see that the boundary of entertaining can always be pushed a little bit further.

SOURCING:
+ Web site of dish cooking studio
+ Scheduled cooking classes at dish cooking studio
+ Party dish tv series at Food Network Canada
+ Dish Entertains by Trish Magwood – price: $28.32 CAD

, ,

14 Responses to “Upcoming cookbook titled Dish Entertains by Trish Magwood”

1. I took “The Art of Grilling” at Dish last month. It was a wonderful 3.5 hour, hands-on class. I blogged about it and have some pics in my flickr widget.

If you’re in the Toronto area and thinking of taking a cooking class, I recommend Dish. The cost is a bit steep and worth every penny. I won a gift card at a United Way auction and still have some $ left over. I’m trying to decide what to take next.

2. 2 At Home with kim vallee said:

Eden: I am glad that you recommend their classes. It is good to get the opinion of someone that experienced the service. It seems that you learned a few tricks that afternoon.

3. What a beautiful cookbook cover! Can’t wait to see its contents

4. 4 At Home with kim vallee said:

I hope the book will be up to my expectation. Thanks for stopping by.

5. 5 Jorgebob said:

Gotta love that chopstick-impaired Caucasian chick on the cover that’s about to get a lapful from the overfilled Chinese take-out box. What’s with models who don’t know how to hold chopsticks? And who checked to see if the shot was somwhere in the region of being correct? I’ll bet there’s a nice food shot with crossed chopsticks (vulgar in Asia) somwhere in the book. Sorry for the snark but it just drives me up the wall when someone tries to appropriate another person’s culture without having a clue about it. I worked in the menu printing business for over 20 years and one of the reasons I got out was because people (art directors and designers, especially) didn’t care about the details. And yes, when I come across things like this while perusing food blogs, I make a total bastard of myself and point it out. Cheerio!

6. 6 At Home with kim vallee said:

To make it clear for everyone. The model is the author of the book.

This is not a cookbook about Asian cooking. It is a cooking book by a Caucasian girl cook that enjoys a whole range of recipes that are simple to make and great for entertaining. Yes, the take-out box is too full and it is simply a trick to add colors the cover shot. I am amazed that someone would assume that is the suggested way we would serve or eat the plate.

7. 7 Jorgebob said:

Look, I’m not trying to start a fight and it’s quite obvious that it’s not an Asian cookbook so I’ll make this my last post. Then why show it that way? I’ve worked in print production so I know that you are trying to do to make it look attractive but why then assume the guise of another culture and style the shot that way? Is it because non-Asians won’t know any better? This is the kind of disrespectful attitude that drives people of other cultures nuts. Don’t you expect a certain amount of decorum and manners when people eat your food? And then, of course, you blame the person pointing it out.

8. Pingback from a Web site

The Holiday Shopping Party at Dish Cooking Studio is now

9. 9 chef rudolf tiambeng said:

Good day sir,madam pls send some new picture of hot food in a new plating disign, thank you

10. Pingback from a Web site

Entertaining Book Finalists of the James Beard Cookbook Awards

11. Pingback from a Web site

Dish Entertains Won the James Beard Entertaining Award

12. I’ve been struggling to find this book in my local bookshops so have resorted to hunting it down over the internet. I really enjoy her show and can’t wait to have a book with all her quick and fab recipes so I won’t forget like I do whenever I have just watched her show and then try to replicate what I saw.but it all goes wrong somehow

13. 13 satheesh said: